We may experience God as silent, but God does communicate with us. We may need to learn to listen better, but we also may need to learn to understand how God speaks to us, and recognize when God is speaking. Each of us has a unique relationship with God, but there are also common ways in which God communicates with us.
If we look at the Bible, how does God communicate to his People?
- Directly to the heart—sometimes in prayer, sometimes through intuition, sometimes in words
- Through Divine Revelation: through his Word and the teaching of the Church
- Through silence
- Through other people (God sends prophets or other people to communicate his love, his warnings, and his invitations)
- Through the beauty and power of nature (for one example, see Psalm 8)
- Through the community, most especially through the community of the Church (the Acts of the Apostles is full of examples)
- Through wise mentors
- Through the needs of others
- Through the ordinary circumstances of our lives
- And sometimes through the extraordinary: visions/appearances/dreams/miracles (Sometimes we may experience a miracle but not recognize it as miraculous.)
God speaks to us today, in our own lives. How am I listening?
To Journal About
- How does God communicate with me?
- When have I heard God “speaking” to me?